9.21.2011

Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans


I've been in love with Michelinas Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans (go HERE for their nutrition facts)frozen lunch for quite and while (and might I add VERY inexpensive..$.88) I dislike strongly eating frozen meals for many reasons.

1. I love to cook and I feel like I'm cheating
2. I don't like eating processed/not the absolute healthiest meals.

However, as a teacher/wife/mom to be/friend/co-worker/daughter/etc my time is not always as I want!  Well, I looked up Santa Fe Rice and Bean recipes and none of them seemed to match my Michelinas meal (at least ingredient wise). So.....I've made my own and HOLY YUMMMYYYYY!


 
Kate's Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans

2 cups cooked rice (use chicken broth) (I used min. rice)
1 (15 oz.) can red beans (rinsed and drained)
1 cup corn (I cheated with frozen)
2/3 cup green bell pepper
1/3 cup zucchini
1/2 of a jalapeno pepper
2 T green chilies
1 cup sour cream (reduced fat)
2 T milk
2 cups of mixed mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese (save 1 cup for on top at end)
squirt vinegar
1 t minced garlic
2 T margarine
Spices:
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
~~Mix beans, corn, 1 cup of cheese mix, rice in a large bowl
~~Melt margarine in saute pan and add garlic (saute!)
~~Add in all veggies
~~Mix milk, sour cream, vinegar, and spices.  Then add to saute pan.
~~Heat and stir, once mixed add to bean mixture, stir, and pour into 9x13 dish.
~~Put in oven, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 min. for the last 10 min. add 1 cup of cheese mix on top!
Um...yum! Let me know if you tried it and how it tasted.  Hubby and I used tortilla chips to dip into it even! 

NOTE TO SELF: this is a work in progress since I created it from scratch...I think next time I'll double the amount of sour cream and milk b/c I want it a little more saucy...Hubs liked it just like this! Also, I want to ask my brother-in-law for a great Mexican chicken marinade to add some delicious chicken to this dish!

{Kate}

No comments: